South Deering, Chicago Real Estate

    ABOUT SOUTH DEERING

    The community area that is now known as South Deering saw its first wave of major development beginning in 1875 when the Joseph H. Brown Iron and Steel Company opened a mill near Lake Calumet. “Irish, Welsh, English, Swedish, and German immigrant laborers flocked to the area for factory jobs,” and because of the prevalence of steel mills in the area, “the ensuing settlement was known as Irondale.” International Harvester, an agricultural machinery manufacturer, purchased Brown’s mill soon after 1900, “and then announced the construction of a new facility, Wisconsin Steel, to produce steel for its tractors and combines.” Other companies opened factories in the area, such as the Gold Medal Flour Company, Illinois Slag and Ballast Company, and the Federal Furnace Company, and the local economy boomed during this period of growth.

    Where to Eat

    Taco Mex
    L & G Restaurant
    Seashell Restaurant
    Ova Flo Southern Style Cuisine
    Skyway Pizza and Grill
    Los Carbones

    Places to See

    Haborside International Golf Center
    Big Marsh Park

    Schools in South Deering

    Marsh Elementary School PK – 8
    Bright Elementary School PK – 8

    Healthcare near South Deering

    Oak Street Health
    Advocate Medical Group
    Advocate Health Care