Matteson Real Estate

    The village of Matteson is located along the Metra Electric commuter rail line and sits astride Interstate 57 and the Lincoln Highway.  Although a largely residential community, the village is the site of several corporate office buildings and was previously home to the Lincoln Mall, one of the largest shopping centers of the south suburbs.

    The village was established in the mid-1850’s at the junction of the recently constructed Illinois Central and Michigan Central Railroads.  They named the new community after then Illinois Governor Joel Matteson.

    After World War II, Matteson grew steadily.  Population growth brought greater diversity.  As Matteson has flourished over the last 50 years, there have been some substantial alterations in its geography.  Originally platted on a 40-acre parcel near the intersection of the two rail lines, the village has grown tremendously with the annexation of several housing subdivisions.  Old Matteson, as the community’s original center is sometimes called, has some of the feel of a tranditional village, especially near Main St and the Railroad.  However, most of the village’s stores are located along the heavily commercialized Lincoln Highway and in two large shopping center.