Hazel Crest Real Estate

    ABOUT HAZEL CREST

    Hazel Crest was first settled in 1870 in a farming community known as South Harvey. An enterprising newspaper editor named William McClintock moved here from Ohio in 1890, buying 80 acres from farmer Fred Puhrman.

    McClintock built a depot so that the local milk train would stop here, and this single move opened up transportation opportunities to Chicago and beyond. The little depot which he built served as the area’s first real estate office, a public meeting place, a Sunday School room, a day school, and eventually, the post office.

    In 1900, the name was changed to Hazel Crest to reflect the large numbers of hazelnut bushes that grew on a rise of land just South of town. At the time, the southern border was 175th Street and the western edge of the Village was Kedzie Avenue.

    Hazel Crest was incorporated in 1912. Many of the families of the early residents still live in the Village, and they continue the founders’ tradition of community involvement and commitment to excellence.

    Where to Eat

    Wing Wah Restaurant
    Ariston Restaurant
    Rice Garden
    Priscilla’s Ultimate Soulfood Cafeteria
    Oasis Beef Hut
    Sabrina’s Restaurant
    Maria’s Pancake House

    Schools in Hazel Crest

    Highlands Elementary School K-5
    Chateaux School PK-5
    Woodland School 1-4
    Mae Jemison School K-5
    Warren Palmer School 5-6
    Parker Junior High School 6-8
    Hillcrest High School 9-12

    Healthcare near Hazel Crest

    Aunt Martha’s
    Advocate Medical Group
    Issan Health Care
    Pine Crest Health Care
    STW Healthcare
    Health Care Pharmacy
    South Suburban Medical Center