Chicago Ridge Real Estate

    Chicago Ridge’s irregular shape is bounded by Oak Lawn on the north and east, Bridgeview on the west, and Worth on the south.  It’s early geographic and historical context parallels that of Worth.

    The path of Stony Creek arcs through the village.  It is not only an old creek but also the remnants of a feeder canal for the Illinois and Michigan Canal that reached from the Little Calumet River westward through the Saganash-kee Slough.

    Settlement increased with the coming of the Wabash, St. Louis and Pacific Railroad in 1882.  Larger the Wabash would be crossed in the middle of Chicago Ridge by the Chicago & Calumet Terminal Railway.

    In the late 1890’s, the Paul E. Berger Company built their factory adjacent to the railroad.  The Berger Company builthousing for its employees, a tavern, rooming house, and a grocery store.  The first post office opened in 1900 in the Berger factory, and in 1902 the Wabash Railroad established a train station.

    Chicago Ridge incorporated in 1914 and population quickly grew with a great demand for housing and the expansion of road networks including expressways.  Along with a strong new industrial and commercialbase, the population increased dramatically to 5,748 in 1960 and 14,127 in 2000.